Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Until They Walk A Mile In Your Shoes…

, , , , | Working | December 14, 2022

We recently got a new library manager who is… well. Let’s just say she’s very keen on doing things her way.

Manager: “Why are there two people scheduled for the Monday opening shift? All the other shifts only have one person.”

Me: “Because it’s the busiest shift of the week. We have to deal with all the books that have been returned in the overnight slot over the weekend, and we’re always swamped by visitors first thing in the morning.”

Manager: “I think one person should be able to do it. You just need to manage your time better.”

Since I almost always work Monday mornings, I’m the one who gets saddled with the shift on my own. As predicted, there’s far too much to do. I’m far from done with the morning routines when it’s time to open, the visitors have to wait longer than usual to get help, and by the end of my shift, I’m exhausted.

Me: “[Manager], I would need to come in at seven in the morning to get everything done in time for opening. I’m okay with that, but then I want to leave earlier in the afternoon.”

Manager: “No, you can’t leave earlier. Someone needs to be here as a backup when we close. Just try to manage your time better; it shouldn’t be that hard.”

One Monday not soon thereafter, I come down with a cold and have to call in sick. No one can cover for me on such short notice and [Manager] ends up having to work the shift herself.

I don’t know how it went, but I can guess. At the next weekly staff meeting, the manager has a few closing words for us.

Manager: “Also, I have decided to schedule an extra person for the Monday opening shift. There’s far too much to do for just one person!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!