Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unlocked And Loaded

, , , , , | Right | March 30, 2023

I am an early morning stocking associate at a pet store with a grooming salon. Though the retail part of the store doesn’t open until 9:00 am, grooming appointments can be made as early as 7:00 am. Before 9:00 am, the automatic sensor on the door is turned off. People are supposed to use the buzzer to tell us they are here, but because we are in the store, it’s actually unlocked.

I was unloading a truck when I heard the buzzer go off. I expected it to stop after a second or two, but it didn’t; it kept going. As I got closer, I heard someone kicking the door, as well. Thinking it was an emergency outside, I ran to the front of the store. A woman was standing there with her dog under her arm.

Customer: “It’s about time! Now I’m late!

Me: “I didn’t hear the buzzer before this.

That buzzer is so loud you can hear it anywhere in the store, so I know she didn’t hit it before the long buzz. I looked at my watch and saw that it was 7:41. Our groomers schedule every fifteen minutes, so she was either eleven minutes late or four minutes early.

Customer: “When did you start locking the doors?”

Me: “It was unlocked, ma’am.”

Customer: “No, it wasn’t. It didn’t open when I walked up.”

Me: “The motion sensor was off, but it was unlocked.”

Customer: “Don’t argue with me!”

She pushed past me, and though I was irritated, I didn’t say anything. At the back of the store, the grooming is to the right and the back room where I was unloading the truck is to the left. I turned left, and the woman turned around at the grooming entrance and followed me.

Customer: “I want your name.”

Me: “It’s [My First Name].”

Customer: “Your full name.”

Me: “That is my name, ma’am. Have a nice day.” 

I started to walk away again.

Customer: “I’m not done with you!”

Me: *Over my shoulder* “I thought you were late?”

She turned and marched into the grooming salon. I heard later that she tried to tell grooming that I had laughed at her from inside the front door and given her the finger before unlocking it. The manager of the salon told her she would watch the camera footage and deal with me appropriately. I asked the manager if she really was late. She was; her appointment was at 7:15 and she was forced to reschedule.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!