Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unintentional Prejudice Is Still A Kick In The Teeth

, , , , | Right | August 31, 2012

(I’m a British exchange student working at a Tennessee supermarket. I have a very obvious accent. I’m stocking the shelves when I need to place an item out of my reach.)

Me: “Hey, [Coworker], can you give me a hand?”

Customer: “Oh, my! Your accent is amazing! Are you English?”

(I nod.)

Customer: “Oooh, ooh… can you say…” *in a very bad Cockney accent* “Can I please get some help setting up this fish and chips so I can retire for tea time?”

Me: “Erm? Sorry, I won’t.”

Customer: “Well, why not?! I thought all you British people liked tea and fish and chips.”

Coworker: “If I were to ask you why you aren’t wearing blue jean overalls or ending every sentence with “Y’all”, would you be offended?”

Customer: “Well, of course I would!”

(Both my coworker and I raise our eyebrows at her. We watch as her face turns red with realization.)

Customer: “O-oh… I’m sorry.”

(The customer quickly walks to the next aisle, face still red as a beet.)

Coworker: “Sorry about that. We get a lot of people like that around here.”

Me: “Well, at least she didn’t make a comment about my teeth.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!