Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Not Listening Makes You Out Of Order

, | Working | August 28, 2013

(I have just gotten to work, and there is a slight rush going on. I get to work making orders in the back. After the rush has died down, there are still two orders left, and I make them, double checking them to make sure the orders are correct. I shout out the first order to Coworker #1, who needs to take the food out to the customers.)

Me: “Order up! Mushroom swiss and tots!”

Coworker #1 is standing near the front, looking towards the door, but doesn’t turn around.)

Me: *louder* “ORDER UP! Mushroom swiss with tater tots!”

Coworker #1: “Is this a cheeseburger with no lettuce and onion rings?”

Me: “Uh… no. It’s a mushroom swiss with tots.”

Coworker #1: “Oh.”

(Coworker #1 takes the order out. A few moments later, I have the cheeseburger with no lettuce and onion rings ready.)

Me: “Order up! Cheeseburger no lettuce with onion rings!”

Coworker #1: “So, this is a mushroom swiss with tots?”

Me: “No, that was the last order. This is the cheeseburger no lettuce with onion rings.”

Coworker #1: “Crap! I gave that last order to the wrong person!”

(Coworker #1 hurries off with the burger. I look at Coworker #2, who is working the grill.)

Me: “Really? Did that really just happen?”

Coworker #2: *shrugs* “Some peoples’ kids.”


This story is part of the Diners roundup!

Read the next Diners roundup story!

Read the Diners roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!