Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfortunately, You Got Male

| Working | August 5, 2016

(I’m working at a sports grill near a university campus. We get employees from all over the world who came to the city to study. I’m female, and so are the two other employees working with me this night. A new guy from Nepal starts working that evening, and our supervisor leaves me in charge.)

Me: “Hey, [New Guy], can you wipe down those tables?”

(He gives me an annoyed look, grabs a rag, and meanders over to the tables while I clear away dishes on the other side of the room. Ten minutes later, I happen to look up and see him still standing by the un-cleaned tables, just watching ESPN on our TVs. My hands are full, so I ask Female Coworker #1 to kindly remind him that the tables need cleaning. While I’m in the back, she comes up to me looking upset.)

Female Coworker #1: “So I told him to clean the tables, and he did one but then stopped again. And when I asked again, he just kind of… sneered at me.”

Me: “Great…”

(Together, we go back to the dining room to see Female Coworker #2 attempting to get New Guy to help her move one of the tables. He does so only begrudgingly, and then goes back to watching TV. There’s a lull in customers, so my coworkers and I pause to deliberate.)

Female Coworker #2: “Um… did we do something to offend this guy?”

Me: “I don’t know. He’s getting on my nerves, though.”

Female Coworker #1: “You should call [Supervisor] and let him know what’s going on.”

(I’m about to do so when Male Coworker comes in for his evening shift. He’s a super nice guy, and after greeting us girls he goes up to New Guy to introduce himself. To our surprise, New Guy smiles brightly, shakes his hand, and chats with him. Then, New Guy clearly says something about us girls, because both guys look over at us, New Guy with a condescending look, and Male Coworker with shock. Male Coworker excuses himself and comes over to us.)

Me: “What did he just say to you?”

Male Coworker: “Um… apparently, where he comes from, women don’t give orders. He thinks it’s… funny that you try to boss him around, and he said he won’t do a thing you ask.”

Me: “You’re kidding me.”

Female Coworker #2: “Well, he’s going to have a really hard time of it, then, because the majority of us who work here are girls.”

(Needless to say, it was a long night, with Male Coworker having to relay instructions to New Guy if we wanted anything to get done. Thankfully, New Guy quit a few days later. I guess the strain of being “bossed around” by women got to him.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!