Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Adding Insulin To Injury, Part 3

| Working | May 8, 2016

(I have Type 1 Diabetes, and therefore sometimes have issues with my blood sugar and other things related to the disease. A couple of days ago, my blood sugar is very out of range, and I have these things in my body called ketones. I am not supposed to exercise, in any way, including work, while this is happening. Note that all morning, because of said blood sugar and ketones, I have felt extremely dizzy and could not get out of bed, let alone pick up a phone. Finally, around three pm, two hours before my shift starts, after having taken my medicine for the blood sugar and ketones, I call my manager to let them know I will be late, and will be there when my blood sugar returned to a normal range. However, the manager who answers the phone is new.)

Manager: “Hello this is [Manager], how may I help you today?”

Me: “Hello, [Manager], this is [My Name]. I’m calling to let you know that my blood sugar is high and I have ketones so—”

Manager: *interrupting* “—I’m sorry but you did this a few weeks ago. I can’t make an exception for you and let you out of work. You have to call me four hours in advance.”

(She thought I was trying to call out of work.)

Me: “Even though four hours before my shift starts is too early to know how my blood sugar will be? I can’t control it. This doesn’t happen that often.”

Manager: “Yes. And you need a doctor’s note every time.”

(My doctor she needs the note for is two hours away, and there is no way I am going up there every time I need a note. Also I am very sensitive sometimes so I was silently crying thinking I was in a lot of trouble, even though the six other managers I’ve had never had an issue with this.)

Me: “But I was… I was just going to call in late. I just need to wait until my blood sugar is normal again.”

Manager: *suddenly changes her tune* “Oh! I understand. My mother has diabetes. When do you think you’ll be in?”

Me: “5:30 to 6 pm.”

Manager: “Okay! Just go watch a movie or something till then.”

Me: “…”

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!