Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unable To Think Outside The Xbox, Part 2

, , , | Right | June 19, 2020

An irate customer calls the store, demanding to speak to a manager. I am that lucky manager.

Me: “Thank you for holding; this is [My Name]—”

Caller: “Now look—” *butchers my name* “—I am not going to listen to you give me the run-around. Do you understand?”

Me: “Okay.”

Caller: “I bought this DVD player from you guys and it didn’t even work. I want my money back. Now.”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. I’ll be happy to refund you. Just bring the DVD player and the receipt back to us and I—”

Caller: “No! I am never setting foot in your store again!”

Me: “Umm. I’m sorry, sir, but unless you go through the manufacturer, returning the item to the store is the only other way to get a refund.”

Caller: *Stubbornly* “I’m not coming in. You can’t make me.”

Me: “I can’t make you come in; that is true. But if you want your money back, you can either go through the manufacturer or bring it to the store.”

Caller: “No.”

Me: “I… What’s wrong with the DVD player?”

Caller: “My son wanted to play [Xbox Game] and it didn’t work!”

Me: “Ah. Well, an Xbox is not the same as a DVD player.”

Caller: “Yes, it is. They’re both disks.”

Me: “Sir, could you play a VHS in a cassette player?”

Caller: “Oh, my God, kids today are so stupid. They’re completely different things!”

Me: “DVDs and game disks are different, too.”

Caller: “No, they’re not!”

Me: *Sighs* “Okay, sir. I will refund your DVD player—”

Caller: “Good! Finally!”

Me: “In store. I’m here until 7:00. Have a nice night.”

I hung up. He didn’t come in that night, but he did come by the next evening when I was working and claimed he spoke to a “foreign guy” — I am neither foreign nor a guy — who said he could exchange his $50 DVD player for an XBox console with two free games for his trouble.

When I identified myself as the manager he spoke with, he threw the DVD player on the ground, stomped on it a few times, and stared at me. 

Definitely no refund. 

Related:
Unable To Think Outside The XBox

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!