Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unable To Make-Up

| Right | July 7, 2015

(I have recently quit my job and am working the cash register on my last scheduled day. I’ve made it to my last half hour without incident. At the time, the shift supervisor and I are the only people on the floor as our coworker is on lunch. A middle-aged customer walks up to my register, cuts in front of a regular customer, and throws a plastic bag onto the counter.)

Customer: “This makeup I bought is terrible. I hate it. It doesn’t bring out my eyelashes like it should and I want you to do something about it.”

Me: “Err, I can definitely give you a refund if you’re unhappy with the product.”

(I open the plastic bag to find that not only does she not have a receipt, but she also doesn’t have the original packing, which means the product doesn’t have the necessary bar code.)

Me: “Ma’am, I do require both the receipt and the original packaging. Do you happen to have either of those?”

Customer: “No, I don’t! I want my money back!”

Me: “I can give you a store gift card with the amount of the refund, but without the bar code I can’t go any further with this. I’ll call my supervisor and have her find the product packaging.”

(I call my supervisor who leaves to find the product on the shelf. We have a large cosmetics section, so this takes a few minutes. The line is growing longer and people are beginning to stare at me expectantly.)

Me: “Ma’am, would it be okay if I helped the customers in line behind you? It will take a few minutes for my supervisor to find the correct product.”

Customer: *completely ignoring the fact that she had cut to the front of the line* “I was here first and you will help me first!”

(My regular customer, an older woman, gives me a knowing nod. Just then my supervisor returns and hands me the product.)

Customer: “I can’t believe your store is so unorganized!” *continues ranting as I complete the return*

(I try my best to ignore the rudeness spilling from her mouth, but it becomes increasingly difficult. I finish her return as best I can.)

Me: “If I could just have you sign the return slip ma’am.” *hands her a pen*

Customer: “I am NOT signing anything! It’s YOUR fault, anyway! Your customer service skills are terrible, your products are terrible, and I’m never shopping here again!”

(At this point the customer throws the pen at me and hits me directly in my eye. I lose my cool, but before I can act my regular customer steps up.)

Regular: “Listen here, lady. I’ve watched you mistreat this young man for the last 5 minutes. Verbal assault is one thing, but now you’ve physically assaulted him. I have half a mind to call the police, but you’re a special case and should be dealt with accordingly.”

(To my complete surprise, my regular begins beating the customer with her purse and runs her out of the store. As the rude woman leaves, my regular follows her out and calls after her.)

Regular: “Make-up can’t fix ugly like yours, honey!”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!