Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unable To Deposit Some Self-Control

, , , | Right | November 18, 2020

The phone rings.

Me: “Hello, this is [Bank]. My name is [My Name]; how can I help you?”

Customer #1: “Yes, hi. I tried to deposit a check for [large amount] at [Other Location], and they wanted to put a hold on it. I’d like to speak to a manager about that.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but our manager is out today. I can take a message or call another location to see if a manager is available.”

Customer #1: “I’d like to talk to someone today, so if you can get another branch, that would be great.”

I call the nearest location and transfer the customer to their manager. The next day, our manager is back.

Manager: “Hey, [My Name], quick question. I’m pretty sure you didn’t do this, but I just want to confirm. Did you tell someone that they couldn’t deposit a check for [same large amount] because I wasn’t here?”

Me: “Huh? No way.”

Manager: “I didn’t think so. Apparently, there was a customer who went downtown and complained that a [My Name] said she couldn’t deposit something because the manager was out.”

I make the connection between the phone call and the complaint and explain the conversation. My manager nods, reassures me that I’m not in trouble, and walks away. Later that day, I’m talking to another customer with a very large check.

Me: “So, due to the high dollar amount, I’m going to have to put a partial hold on your deposit. You’ll have [amount] available immediately, but the rest will be held until [date]. This has nothing to do with you personally. It’s just something that our security team has asked we do—”

Customer #2: “I can’t believe you won’t give me my money!”

Me: “As I said, you’ll have access to [partial amount]—”

Customer #2: “You’re holding all my money from me!”

Me: “No, just—”

Customer #2: “I want your manager!”

Me: *Sighs*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!