Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unable To Calculate The Correlation

| Learning | December 8, 2016

(During class scheduling I get sent down to the physics department office in the Math and Science building to straighten out a scheduling problem. I approach the department’s secretary, schedule form in hand.)

Me: “I just need your help enrolling in this one general physics class. See, there’s a math prerequisite and I haven’t taken that class. The thing is, my math score on the ACT was high enough that I didn’t have to take the placement test during orientation. They said I could just go straight to calculus, and the prerequisite is a pre-calculus class, which I’m allowed to skip, so…”

Physics Secretary: “I think I get what you’re saying. I just need to check with [Department Head] before I can override a prerequisite like that.”

(She knocks on his door, talks for a minute, and calls me into the office.)

Physics Secretary: “Explain to him what you were saying to me about the test score.”

(I explain the whole thing again.)

Department Head: “Well, if you’ve taken calculus, that definitely fulfills the requirement.”

Me: “I haven’t actually taken calculus yet. My major only requires one math class and I’m kind of saving it for when I’m a senior and my major classes get really hard, because math is super easy for me…” *I realize I’m babbling and get back on track* “But pre-calculus is also normally a prerequisite for calculus and the test score lets me skip the prerequisite there I figured I could just kind of do the same thing for physics…”

Department Head: “That does make sense and it’s okay with me. I’ll take your word for it about the test score because you seem to be a very honest person. You have an air of sincerity about you.”

Me: *surprised* “Thank you; that means a lot.”

Department Head: “You know, if you wait until after you’ve taken calculus, you could take this higher level course; it’s normally taken by physics majors, but you seem like someone who would really enjoy it.”

Me: “I would, but I really wanted to go ahead and take it this semester. Besides, I’m taking physics to fill a General Studies requirement; we have to choose a science class from a list, and I’m not a hundred percent sure they’d let me substitute that class.”

Department Head: “I understand. By the way, what is your major?”

Me: “Theatre.”

Department Head: “…then why are you taking physics?”

(Not the first time I got asked this, and definitely not the last, but a little surprising coming from the head of the physics department.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!