Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Uhh… Have You Tried Turning It Off And On Again?

, , , , , | Working | August 9, 2022

My cell phone provider has merged with another provider and the transition has been anything but seamless. We have a family plan with three devices. The account is in my name with my phone as the “primary” on the account. The website requires two-factor authentication but doesn’t show my phone as an option for authentication. I decide to try online chat.

I explain my problem to the customer service representative.

Customer Service: “Two-factor authentication is a security issue. We ask for it so that you can be sure that no one but you is accessing your account.”

Me: “Yes, but my phone number isn’t showing as an option so I can’t use it.”

Customer Service: “We are showing both numbers on your account: [number #1] and [number #2].”

Me: “But I have three phones on this account. [Number #1] should be mine, [number #2] is my husband’s, and [number #3] is my son’s.”

Customer Service: “Do you have access to [number #2] or [number #3]?”

Me: “Not at the moment. They aren’t home. The real issue is that I need my number to show up as an option. It’s the main number on the account and the one I always have access to.”

Customer Service: “I’m only showing [number #2] and [number #3] as active.”

I make a quick call to be sure I have service.

Me: “But [number #1]  is currently in my hand and it works.”

Customer Service: “I think you need to clear your cache. Are you using a browser to access the website?”

Me: “Yes, but I fail to see how clearing my cache will make my number show up on your computer.”

The representative sends incorrect instructions to clear the cache.

Me: “First off, those are not correct. The browser was updated months ago and those instructions won’t work. Again, clearing my cache will not affect your computer. If you cannot see the number on the account, there is a problem with the account, not my computer.”

Customer Service: “If you can’t clear your cache, you will need to go into a store.”

Me: “I’m going to need to talk to someone in technical services or your supervisor.”

Customer Service: “If you are unwilling to clear the cache, I will have to end the chat.”

I call tech support from the supposedly inactive phone and explain the issue.

Tech Support: “Wait. What?”

I explain again.

Tech Support: “That. Can’t. Happen. Let me check your account.”

The agent works on my account and finally fixes it.

Tech Support: “I just don’t understand how clearing your cache would make your account change on our servers.”

Me: “Neither do I, but I got disconnected for refusing to follow incorrect directions to solve a problem that didn’t exist.”

Tech Support: “I’m going to put notes in for the supervisor. I hope it helps.”

I didn’t hear back from them, but I do see a random $100 credit on my bill.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!