Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Ugh, Who Put This Ding Dong Dean In Charge?

, , , , | Learning | July 23, 2022

I work for a UK funder of university research. We have just announced the list of funded grants and the phones start going. Most of the calls are for feedback on failed grant applications or successful applicants letting us know of changes to circumstances since their application was submitted.

I was walking through our open-plan office and went past a young lady looking shocked and I could hear shouting coming from her phone. She put the phone down and was shaking and tearful. I asked what happened. She relayed the conversation from a failed applicant, omitting the swear words but being clear that he had been abusive.

Me: “Okay, who was it?”

She gave me the applicant’s name, grant number, and phone number. I rang him and told him in no uncertain terms that I was not prepared to have my staff treated like that.

Applicant: “What are you going to do about it?”

Me: “I will report you to your dean.”

Applicant: “I am the dean!”

I put the phone down, reported him to the university authorities, and put him on a watch list for future applications. Sadly, we cannot refuse to accept applications, but we can give them a hard time. I don’t know if his employing university did anything about it, but don’t mess with my colleagues!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!