Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Try My Famous Meddling Curry

, , , | Related | April 25, 2018

(My mum is one of those people will only stop meddling with things after you forcefully tell her to. She is particularly bad when it comes to cooking because she always assumes she knows better. One night, I am cooking my family curry using a recipe I’ve used many times before. Once I’ve got it cooking, I let it simmer for a while. For a couple of minutes, I go out of the kitchen, but when I come back I see my mum pouring a glass of water into it.)

Me: “Mum, what are you doing?”

Mum: “Oh, I just thought this needed a little more water.”

Me: “It’s okay. I’ve cooked this lots of times before.”

Mum: “Are you sure? It looks like it might burn.”

Me: “Mum, I’ve definitely cooked this before, so I’m sure.”

(A few minutes later when I come back into the kitchen to check on it, I see my mum about to pour some more spice into it.)

Me: “Mum, could you please leave my curry alone?!”

(My mum jumps slightly at this.)

Mum: “It doesn’t look very spicy, so I thought I’d add some more spice to it.”

Me: “It’s got plenty of spice; any more is probably a bad idea, as it’s not supposed to be too hot.”

Mum: “But I think it could use some more.”

Me: “Have you tasted it?”

Mum: “No.”

Me: “Then leave it!”

(Once more, I head out the kitchen, but instantly I suspect she’s not going to be done. As I head back in, I see she’s got a jug of water and is once again about to add more water. Finally, I’ve had enough!)

Me: “MUM, LEAVE IT ALONE!”

(My mum jumps again and drops the jug, spilling water all over the floor.)

Mum: “I was just–“

Me: “Seriously! How many times have I told you to leave it? Why can’t you just listen?”

Mum: “I was only trying to help!”

Me: “I know, but after two or three times of me saying no, did it not occur to you to stop meddling with it?”

(My mum had no answer for that one. My dad and I mopped up the floor afterwards. Just before I was about to serve up dinner, I heard my dad yell from the kitchen, “HE SAID LEAVE IT ALONE!” Seems she wasn’t done, even then!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!