Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Trouble Brewing, Part 4

| Right | June 6, 2013

(We have a special offer on small 10oz draft beers from 8-11pm. A customer approaches the bar around midnight, which is when most other local bar specials end.)

Me: “Hi there! What can I get for you?”

Customer: “Let me get two double drafts.”

Me: “I’m sorry, double drafts? Unfortunately, our drafts only come in the 16oz size.”

Customer: “Okay, I’ll just have two [popular domestic brand] drafts, then.”

Me: “Okay! That will be $5, please.”

Customer: “How are they $5?!”

Me: “Because they’re $2.50 apiece.”

Customer: “Why aren’t they $0.25 apiece?”

Me: “I’m sorry; that was our special from earlier this evening. The special runs from 8-11, only pertains to [unpopular and extremely-cheap beer], and they are served in the small 8oz mason jars. I explained that our regular drafts only come in the 16oz size, and you asked for [brand] which isn’t part of the special.”

Customer: “Well, why the f*** didn’t you tell me that these weren’t on special when I ordered my first beers of the evening!?”

Me: “I’m sorry; were you misinformed on your previous round?”

Customer: “No, this is my first round. It is your job as a bartender to inform me of the specials when I order. I would know; I manage [one of nearby town’s college bars]!”

Me: “I’m sorry for the confusion, but as it was after the special had ended, and it is after other bars’ specials had ended, I don’t normally tell customers about specials that they can’t have.”

Customer: “This is f****** ridiculous! You can’t do your d*** job properly! I am NOT paying $5 for these two beers! If you were my employee at [other bar], I would fire you!”

(I have been nothing but sweet and empathetic up until this point. Unfortunately for this kid, I have had quite enough.)

Me: “That’s interesting, because I always assumed that if I were to work at [other bar], I would be under the supervision of [manager’s name], who has been a friend of mine for years. Anyone in this industry, if they even want the special, knows enough to ask if the special is still running, and what is included in the special. If you were truly the manager of a bar, or have ever bartended a day in your life, then you certainly should know that the manner in which you are speaking to me is in no way appropriate or acceptable. Now, would you like your two drafts for $5, or not?”

Customer: “I… I… THIS ISN’T FAIR!”

(My manager, who has been standing nearby and has heard everything, walks up.)

Manager: “Listen, kid. You’ve not only been rude to my bartender, but she’s also proved that you’re a liar. The fact that she hasn’t had you removed for your behavior is a testament to her extreme patience and upbeat personality. Now, pay for your beers, or go back to [nearby town] and practice your ‘managerial skills’!”

Customer: *slinks away*

 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!