Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Treat Customer Service The Way You Want To Be Treated

, , , , , , | Right | January 1, 2018

(As the head host of a very expensive steak house, I have had my share of celebrity run-ins. All of them have been nice, except for one. We have a baseball player who is well known in my city and is very fond of my restaurant. He usually comes in with his whole family, about twelve or thirteen people. He always demands a private room, which we normally charge for; he gets it free, and his family always destroys the room. Every time. I am talking food ground into the carpet and everything. Just a wreck. They will run up a $900 check, and then tip the server ten bucks. Servers DREAD him coming in. One Friday night around 10:45, I get a phone call:)

Agent: “Hi, this is [Baseball Player]’s agent. Have you heard of him?”

(For some reason, the agent ALWAYS says this when he calls.)

Agent: “Well, he would like a table after the game.”

Me: “Uh, it’s 10:45 and we close at 11. I am able to see the TV in the lounge, and he is on it right now at the stadium, so there is no way he can make it in time.”

Agent: “Oh, I don’t think you understand; this is for [Baseball Player].”

Me: “I don’t think you understood me; we close at 11, he can’t get here in time, and the answer is no. Have a nice day.” *hangs up*

(I am really irritated as it has been a long night. I watch out for my servers and I KNOW there would be a revolt if I allowed it. Five minutes later, I get another call.)

Liaison: “Hi, this is [Liaison] with the [Baseball Team]. I am a public liaison, and I am calling—”

Me: “I’m going to stop you right there. His agent called. I said, ‘no.'”

Liaison: “Oh, I am sorry; I didn’t know someone asked.”

Me: “Oh, yes, you did; that’s why you are now calling. No means no. Have a nice night.”

(I am really steaming by that point. But as I am quick to get ticked, I cool off just as fast. I start thinking maybe I should have said yes because the owner is good friends with the team. So, I go to the general manager and tell him what happened.)

General Manager: “I am glad you said no; I would have been here all night!”

(The baseball player DID show up at 11:30 and tried to push his way past me. I held the door closed, shook my head no, and pointed at my watch. He should have treated his servers better in the past. Your past actions dictate your future treatment.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!