Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Trash Does Not Equal Cache

| Working | September 20, 2012

(Note: I work for an IT department of a manufacturing company. I am going around to employee’s PCs and upgrading their e-mail clients.)

Me: “Okay, I’m just upgrading your e-mail client. It shouldn’t take too long.”

Employee: “Will I have to back my mail up?”

Me: “No, your folders will still remain there after the upgrade.”

Employee: “No worries. I’ll leave you to it.”

(I have to close down the old client before I can upgrade it. By default, upon closing it asks if you want to clear the trashcan. I select “Yes” and then upgrade the client.)

Me: “Okay, all done. See you later.”

(Five minutes later, the staff calls me up.)

Employee: “Where has my email gone? I’ve lost emails.”

Me: “Which folders? I can see all your folders are still there.”

Employee: “There were emails in my trash can, and now they are gone!”

Me: “By default, when you close down the client it asks you if you want to clear the trash. This is what I did before the upgrade.”

Employee: “But I file emails in that folder that I don’t want to delete!”

Me: *facepalm*

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!