Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Trapped On Mount Karma

| Right | May 27, 2013

(We are having one of the coldest Easters in record. I work in an outdoors equipment shop, where we sell everything for use in outdoor activities, from hiking boots and tents to climbing gear and ice picks. I also volunteer for the UK’s mountain rescue. My manager and colleagues all know this, and are happy for me to go on calls.)

Customer: “I’m looking for some hiking boots so I can go out in the snow.”

Me: “Okay, sir, they are just over here.”

(We walk over to where we display our boots. As he is looking, I get paged that my team is going out on a rescue.)

Me: “Sorry, sir, I am afraid I have to go. I volunteer for mountain rescue, but one of my colleagues will assist you.”

Customer: “What! How dare you! You shouldn’t trouble me just because some random people managed to get themselves hurt.”

(The customer grabs onto my sleeve. My manager comes over, as he is aware of my needing to leave.)

Manager: “Sir, please let my employee leave. I will help you personally, and we will give you some free walking socks for your inconvenience.”

(I eventually leave, and my team performs our rescue. The casualty had hypothermia and a broken leg, but other than that was fine. A couple of days later, my team get another call-out. I bet you can’t guess who it was…)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!