Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Transitioning To A New Wardrobe

, , , , | Right | October 10, 2017

(At my hotel, we occasionally have guests that stay with us for very long stretches of time, usually because of some issue with their homes. One such couple has at this point been staying with us for a few months, and has gotten to know the front desk staff very well. While they are staying with us, a member of our front desk staff officially comes out as transgender, identifying as female, and changes her name to suit. This couple is a bit caught off guard by it, but are very accepting, just like the staff is. One day, when my coworker is off, about a week after her transition, the couple comes up to me at the desk.)

Guest: “Um, hey, [My Name]. I wanted to ask you something.”

Me: “Sure. What’s up?”

Guest: “I don’t want to be presumptuous or offend her or anything, but do you think it would be okay for us to buy [Coworker] some clothes?”

(The guest’s wife and I both look a bit confused.)

Me: “Um… I would ask her that first, but why?”

Guest: “I’ve just noticed that she wears the same thing all the time, and I thought maybe she doesn’t have much to wear.”

(At this point, the penny drops, and the guest’s wife and I both start laughing.)

Guest: “What? What’s funny?”

Guest’s Wife: “You dip! That’s her uniform! All of the girls wear that! Haven’t you noticed [Coworker #2] and [Coworker #3] wear the same thing all the time too?”

Guest: “Well, [My Name] doesn’t wear it!”

Guest’s Wife: “Because she’s the manager!”

(We all had a good laugh about it, and they went on their way, but I thought it was super sweet that he’d offer to support someone like that through their transition, even if his concern was misplaced!)


This story is part of the Pride roundup!

Read the next Pride roundup story!

Read the Pride roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!