Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Training Draining

, | Right | December 26, 2012

(It’s around 12 pm. I’m training a new girl on her third shift. She’s never been on register before, so I’m walking her through it before I teach her how to serve. Our register layout has changed that day, so every employee on shift is re-learning it. All of a sudden, a woman who has been standing in line for around two minutes walks straight up to the register. The register has a sign on it clearly stating that it is closed.)

Customer: “Excuse me, do you have to do that now?”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Customer: “It’s lunchtime, and you’re training! Do you have to do that now?”

Me: “I’m sorry ma’am, but this is her training shift and—”

Customer: “I don’t care! I’ve been standing here for ten minutes! You have one girl serving and it’s extremely busy!”

(We have around five customers besides her, three of whom have ordered and paid.)

Me: “I’m sorry, I’ll get you my manager.”

Customer: “It’s lunch time!”

Manager: “Hi, what seems to be the problem today?”

Customer: “This girl is being extremely rude to me and refusing to serve me!”

Manager: “I’m sorry, but as you can see, this register is closed. Our trainee is currently being trained. If you’ll just step into that line over there, we’ll take your order.”

Customer: “It’s lunch time! Are you all stupid!?. Some of us are on our meal breaks!”

Manager: “I’m sorry about that, ma’am.”

Customer: “This line isn’t even moving!”

(The manager is needed in two other parts of the store at this point, so she instructs me to have the trainee serve the customer, and then get back to training her.)

Customer: “Finally. It’s lunch time!”

(The customer then proceeds to rattle off a long and extremely complicated order. This is difficult for both the trainee and myself and takes around five minutes to put through her order. She begins screaming about slow service around halfway through. The trainee is nearly in tears by this point.)

Customer: “Oh, for God’s sake! You’re so f***ing slow! Don’t you know how to use a register?”

Me: *finally losing my patience* “No, she doesn’t. That’s what I was trying to teach her before.”

Customer: “I want to talk to your manager!”

Manager: “I’m sorry, I’m going to have to ask you to leave. You have been extremely rude to my staff, who are only doing as they have been instructed to do. Here is your food.”

Customer: “You can’t do this to me! I’m going to your owners, and I’m going to your head office! What’s your name? What’s her name?”

(The manager gives both of our names.)

Customer: “I’M GOING TO HAVE YOU BOTH FIRED!”

(The customer then proceeds to charge out of the store, still ranting about poor service.)

Manager: “Yeah, have fun with that.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!