Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Totally Speechless

, , , , , | Right | August 30, 2021

The café I work in has just added some new items to the menu. I am mute, so I work in the back either washing dishes or prepping food. After a quick bathroom break, I am heading back to my station when a woman approaches me.

Customer: “Excuse me, miss. I wanted to try one of your new sandwiches, but I’m having trouble deciding. Which one do you recommend?”

She seems very polite. I point to my mouth, then my throat, then shake my head, trying to convey my lack of speech. She smiles and nods, and I think she understands. Then, she gets really close to my face. Keep in mind, this is during a certain health crisis, and everyone is supposed to be staying six feet apart. This woman is wearing a mask, but that doesn’t change the fact that she is now about an inch from my face.

Customer: *Now screaming* “WHAT SANDWICH DO YOU RECOMMEND?!”

Now everyone in the café is staring at her. After the shock wears off, I point to my ear and give a thumbs-up, and then I point to my mouth and give a thumbs-down.

Customer: *Speaking normally* “Oh, you can hear; you just can’t talk.”

I nod.

Customer: “Oh, okay.”

She walked up to the register without an apology. I will never forget the utter confusion on her face when my manager told her to leave. He also gave me a free cookie.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!