Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They Totally Mismanaged That, Part 2

, , , , , , | Working | February 16, 2018

(We hire a seasonal worker who is in high school. She only works weekends, yet after only three weeks she gets promoted to product co-manager because she knows higher-ups. She comes into the store a few times, very smug about her promotion. She often shoves her work onto us, as she doesn’t believe it is worth her time. For example, she refuses to take out garbage even though all the tills are full and the garbage is overflowing. Even the DM takes out the garbage sometimes so it isn’t unreasonable. However, because she isn’t actually in the store that often, she doesn’t always know the answer to questions customers have even though she’ll pretend to.)

Customer: “How much does fudge cost?”

Product Co-Manager: “Oh, it’s like $10.”

Me: “Actually, it’s $5.99, and we’re having a buy-one-get-one deal.”

Product Co-Manager: “Right, so it’s around $10. Don’t you have somewhere else to be, [My Name]?”

Customer: “Actually, can I ask you a few more questions?”

Product Co-Manager: “Sure!”

Customer: “Oh… I meant her.” *meaning me*

(The product co-manager glares at me and storms away. A few days later, my manager pulls me into the back room.)

Manager: “We got an anonymous customer complaint about you.”

Me: “What?”

Manager: “They said you were rude, and would always send them to other people because you were too busy on your phone.”

Me: “When?”

Manager: “Tuesday at eight.”

Me: “[Manager], I called in sick this Tuesday. It couldn’t have been me.”

Manager: “Really?”

(My manager looked up the records and saw that I called in sick Tuesday and Wednesday, and wasn’t scheduled Monday. There was no way that complaint was about me. They sent back an email asking to verify the employee they were complaining about. The next day I saw my manager yelling at the product co-manager in the back room. It turns out the product co-manager sent an anonymous complaint about me to get me written up or moved. My manager saw her email open on her phone, and she had the email the company sent to the “anonymous customer.” The product co-manager was fired immediately.)

Related:
They Totally Mismanaged That

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!