Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Totally Divorced From The Process

| Working | August 30, 2016

(My mother is recently divorced, and the process has been hard on her emotionally. A few months after the divorce was legally filed she notices that our car insurance company began to up her payments. She calls…)

Mom: “I saw that my payments are starting to call for more money. I’m afraid I don’t have enough of an income to pay this. Is there a mistake in the system or something…?”

Representative: “Oh, no, ma’am! After looking at your recent legal activities that increase in payment was on purpose!”

Mom: “Oh… may I ask why? What exactly do you mean by legal activities?”

Representative: “We saw that you were recently divorced?”

Mom: *taken aback* “Yes…”

Representative: “Our company increases the payment on recently divorced customers because we found out they’re at risk for more reckless driving.”

Mom: “Why on EARTH would you do that?! First of all, look at my driving records! The only things I have EVER pulled this insurance for was a windshield repair and when someone ran into my parked car! I am at a low risk for accidents! And how does being DIVORCED cause customers to be more reckless at DRIVING!?”

Representative: “Well, emotionally–”

Mom: “AND, and I CAN’T AFFORD to pay this much for the insurance payment! I live off of a teaching salary with my three children! I CANNOT pay this! PLEASE, tell me is there anything I can do to lower this?”

Representative: “No, ma’am, it is company policy.”

Mom: “Are you serious? WHY on EARTH would your company charge extra for divorced customers!?”

Representative: *haughtily* “Well, YOU’RE the one getting the divorce!”

(My mom went into a total fit. The supervisor told her the same thing, with a very nasty attitude, and my mom has since dropped that company for our car insurance.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!