Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Top-Shelf Requirements But A Bottom-Shelf Attitude

, , , , , | Right Working | July 15, 2022

I am a manager at the supermarket. One of the workers, [Problem Worker], has been refusing to help customers on the floor — not “go get me something from the other end of the store because I’m too lazy” customers, but “I can’t reach the clearly-labeled ‘REQUEST EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE FOR ITEMS ON TOP SHELF’” customers. The boss has made clear that if he is reported doing this one more time, he will be fired.

When an angry customer storms up to me and asks if I am a manager, I’m bracing myself for the worst.

Customer #1: “One of your workers is refusing to help me!”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, could you take me to him so I can—”

Customer #1: It wasn’t a him; it was a her!

Call me a pessimist, but at this point, I’m wondering if [Problem Worker] is starting to rub off on his coworkers.

Me: “Sorry, ma’am. Could you take me to her so I can report her?”

The customer leads me into the aisle and… it’s not one of [Problem Worker]’s coworkers. It’s not even someone wearing a [Supermarket] uniform. It’s a woman in a revealing dress, wearing more jewelry than I can account for, a lot of which is dangling — someone who is obviously not doing on-the-floor work.

Customer #1: “That’s the one! Tell her to do her job!”

Customer #2: “Are you still doing this s***? I told you, I don’t work here!”

Customer #1: “Don’t try and pull that with your boss here!”

Me: “Ma’am, that woman doesn’t work here. And if she told you that, why wouldn’t you listen to her?”

Customer #1: “Don’t lie to protect her! I told her to get me a [item on the nearby top shelf] and she wouldn’t help me!”

Me: “Ma’am, she is not an employee of [Supermarket]. She is not wearing a [Supermarket] uniform, her clothes are not suited to working at [Supermarket], and I have never let my workers wear anything that… might get caught on things while they’re working.”

Yes, I just barely stop myself from insulting her outfit, but [Customer #2] still gives me a dirty look that I 100% deserved.

Customer #1: “But she can reach the top shelf! She should help me!”

[Customer #2] is, admittedly, tall enough to easily reach items on the labeled top shelf without assistance, but that does not put her under any obligation to do so, especially from a rude customer like this.

Me: “She doesn’t work here. She told you she doesn’t work here. I told you she doesn’t work here. Why should she help you?”

Customer #1: “Because I told her to! Hey, get back here!”

[Customer #2] has started walking away at this point, and she flips the woman off over her shoulder.

Customer #2: “F*** you very much, you b****.”

Customer #1: “Don’t you talk to me like that!”

Me: “Ma’am, you are harassing another customer. Stop right now, or I will remove you from the store.”

[Customer #1] got removed from the store. Honestly, what part of “She doesn’t work here” did you not understand?

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!