Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

To Their Credit, Cashiers Are Not Psychic

| Right | December 1, 2013

(I’m working at one of the express lanes in a big-box retailer. A woman and her husband approach with a full cart but since it is a slow night, I agree to take them. I scan everything they have, and the couple is overly chipper and pleasant until it comes time to pay.)

Me: “Alright, you’re all set! It’ll be [price].”

(The customer holds out her card.)

Me: “Oh! Sorry, go ahead and swipe your card right here.”

(I tap the credit card machine.)

Customer: “Sheesh! Sorry! It’s been a long day! It’s going to be credit.”

(The customer slides the card through.)

Me: “Alright, then just hit cancel, and select credit.”

(I hit the credit key on my side when she agrees to the amount and selects credit. She signs and then hits ‘OK.’ The receipt prints and I hand it to her.)

Me: “Here you go! Have a nice night!”

Customer: “What’s that?”

Me: “Your receipt?”
Customer: “Why are you giving me the receipt?! I wanted to pay a different way too!”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m sorry, if you had informed me prior to sliding your card I could have processed it but—”

(The customer slams her hands on the counter.)

Customer: “Why didn’t you tell me that in the first place!? Now I’m overdrawn!”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m sorry, I really am. I understand the problem but there’s nothing I can do. If I had known before hand I would have told you but you didn’t tell me you wanted to pay using more than one method.”

Customer: “You should have known!”

Me: “Ma’am, you can take your receipt to customer service and they can reverse the charge. I don’t know if it will help but the money will go back in a few days.”

Customer: “This is stupid! You people need to anticipate our needs!”

(The customer grabs the receipt and storms off towards customer services. Her husband just rolls his eyes at her and trails along with the cart. She demands that we pay her overdraft fees, throws a huge fit, and has to be dragged out by her husband!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!