Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Tis The Seasoning

| Right | April 11, 2014

(Around Christmas, my father and I decide to go out to eat at a chain restaurant. We can’t help but overhear a table, with a husband who has remained silent the entire time, and a wife, complaining about how her meal has been ruined by the waiter, who happens to be the manager on duty.)

Woman: “Excuse me, sir. You completely ruined my steak. This is not what I ordered.”

Manager: “I’m sorry, ma’am. I would be more than happy to correct this error. May I ask what is wrong with your steak? Is it overcooked?”

Woman: “Just slightly but the major problem is the seasonings you put on the steak. I cannot stand it. I want just a plain steak. No seasonings.”

(Overhearing this, I realize I have ordered the same thing, a Cajun top sirloin, which clearly states that there is spices put on the steak. After a few minutes, the manager comes back with a plain steak for the other table, as well as my meal. After delivering my meal, the woman pulls the manager back to her table.)

Woman: “Sir, this is the second time, and the last time I hope I have to call you over here. You ruined my steak again. This steak is so bland and flavorless. How hard is it to give me a good steak with a bit of salt and pepper?”

Manager: “I am sorry for the confusion, ma’am. I’ll go fix your order personally.”

Woman: *as the manager is leaving the table, but clearly able to hear* “You know, honey, why would a place like this put that seasoning on something when it doesn’t even say it has it on there? No one likes that stuff anyway.”

(Both my father and I have worked in restaurants most of our lives are fed up by this demanding customer and come to the aid of the manager.)

Me: *loud enough for the manager to hear* “Oh, my god! What did they do to this steak?!” *I see the woman turn around and give me a look of agreement as my dad is trying the steak* “This is the best steak I have ever had! And the seasoning is GREAT!”

(The husband was nearly falling out of his chair laughing as the wife stayed silent for the rest of the meal. The manager later thanked us for helping silence the customer. Knowing he was going to get stiffed on a tip, we each pitched $10 just to make his day a little brighter.)


This story is part of the Steak roundup!

Read the next Steak roundup story!

Read the Steak roundup!


Did you find this story using our Waitstaff roundup?

Click here to get to the next story!

Click here to get back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!