Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Tipped To Be A Good Christmas

, | Related Right | December 27, 2016

(It’s Christmas Eve and only my manager and I are working. We both volunteered for this night since neither of us really have much family or traditions or anything like that. It’s about 9:50 and we’re starting to close up. It’s been a pretty good night despite the holidays and snow. I’ve gotten good tips and everyone has been super nice to us and given us treats for working. We get a call for a delivery, and it’s a fairly large order: 8 sandwiches, 10 bags of chips, 12 cookies, a pickle bucket, and 7 drinks. It takes the both of us around 20 minutes to get the whole order ready and luckily they are very understanding. I deliver to a hotel nearby and it looks to be an entire family sharing a couple rooms. The guy who called is very nice and gives me a $10 tip. I think it’s very good and go to leave when the grandmother calls out to me.)

Grandma: “Honey, how much did he tip you?”

Me: “$10. It’s very nice, thank you!”

Grandma: “Boy, you only gave her $10?! Honey, you got a family?”

Me: “Yes, but it’s fine. We just usually watch a movie and that’s it.”

Grandma: *pretty much yells at everyone else* “All y’all pull out your wallets and give the nice girl some money!” *looks at me* “Child, are you the only one working?”

Me: “No, my manager is with me as well.”

Grandma: “What time do you guys close?”

Me: “We close at 10.”

(It’s about 10:20 at this point.)

Grandma: *to everyone else* “Y’ALL BETTER DIG REAL DEEP, NOW.”

(Everyone is pulling out 1’s and 5’s and giving it all to grandma, and she counts it all.)

Grandma: “Here you go, sweetie. Share it with your manager. My child was supposed to make dinner reservations but messed it all up. So we called you and we’re so glad you were open. I apologize for my dumbass child keeping you open past close and that you aren’t with your family tonight. I hope this helps.” *hands me wad of cash*

Me: “Oh, my gosh, thank you so much. It’s really no trouble at all. I’m just glad you guys were able to get some food. Have a Merry Christmas!”

Grandma: “You, too. Thank your manager for us, too!”

(I got back to my car and ended up with a $60 tip! I got back to the shop and my manager cashed me out and I ended up with over $100 in tips from that night. I gave my manager his share of the last order and he tried to avoid taking it (because, technically, managers can’t accept tips) but I argued that since I was cashed out, it was my money and I could do what I want with it. He took it and we both laughed when I shared my story with him. If that lady or her family read this, this was the best delivery I ever made and I still share it with everyone I know! I hope you are all well!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!