Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Tipped The Scales Of Kindness, Part 2

, , | Right | July 19, 2016

(I’m in college working alone one night in a sandwich shop. I’m exhausted after a day of classes and working alone most of the seven hour shift, so when a guy comes in right around closing, I’m not that excited to serve him. But I know none of this is his fault and try to be as pleasant as possible. I’m ringing him up when he starts to make small talk.)

Customer: “They have you here alone.”

Me: “Oh, it’s fine. I’m used to it. That will be six dollars.”

Customer: *handing over a twenty dollar bill* “What are they paying you, minimum wage?”

Me: *shrugs* “Yeah.”

Customer: “I had a job like that when I was younger, too. Keep the change as your tip.”

(I just stare at him and the money in my hand for a second. Most nights I’m lucky to make a dollar or two in tips a night. His change is about double what I make in pay an hour.)

Me: “Are you sure…?”

Customer: “Yeah, just try to do that for someone else one day.”

(I shook his hand and thanked him. The next day, I treated myself to new mascara and a soda. Sir, if you’re reading this, thank you. It was about $14, but it meant so much more to me.)

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!