Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Ongoing Scan-dal

| Working | September 11, 2014

(This happened a few years ago when I was shopping in a department store. I go to buy a sweater that has the price clearly marked on it. I take it to the till but it does not scan when the cashier scans it.)

Cashier: “This item is not scanning; let me call someone to do a price check.”

Me: “The price is right on the tag here. It says [price].”

Cashier: “Sorry, but we need to scan it in order to make the price go through the till.”

(Another employee comes over and I explain what’s going on.)

Employee #2: “Unfortunately we can’t sell you the item if it doesn’t scan. Can you come back tomorrow after we get it into our system?”

(I am a little puzzled as to why this is necessary, but decide to agree with them and come back the next day. Sure enough, I come back the very next day to buy it, and again it doesn’t scan.)

Cashier: “I need a price check on this item!”

Me: “Seriously? I came here to buy this exact same item last night, and I was told to come back today because the item wasn’t scanning and you needed a day to put in in your system!”

Cashier: “Sorry, but we can’t sell the item if it’s not scanning.”

Me: “Can you get a manager, please?”

(A manager comes over and I explain the situation to her.)

Manager: “Unfortunately we can’t sell you the item if it doesn’t scan. Can you come back another day so we can get it in our system?”

Me: “Okay, let me get this straight… You have this item on your sales floor to sell, with the price RIGHT ON THE TAG, and you’re telling me you can’t sell it to me because it doesn’t scan? Not to mention I was told last night to come back again so you could get it in your system? May I ask why this item is even on your sales floor to be sold if people aren’t even able to buy it?”

(At that moment, the till over from me called for a price check on an item… Guess what that person was buying?)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!