Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Tip More Than Just My Hat To You

| Right | September 5, 2016

(I work at a pretty well-known electronics retailer that has been around for a long time. Every now and then we will get several customers asking for technical advice on old technology. One afternoon, an older gentleman comes in, walks to the counter where I am and takes out an old flip phone.)

Customer: “I can’t seem to get this useless thing to come on. I’ve tried everything!”

Me: “Let me take a look at it.”

(Customer hands me the flip phone. I hold the “end” button to power on the device. When that does not work, I figure the battery is dead so I proceed to plug in a spare charger we keep behind the counter. Lo and behold, the device comes on.)

Me: “Looks like it just needed to be recharged!”

Customer: “What did you do?”

Me: “It just needed to be plugged in.”

Customer: “That’s it? Wow! Thank you so much! How much do I owe you?”

Me: *smiling* “Free of charge!”

Customer: “Well, let me at least tip you for the trouble.”

Me: “No need; I’m just happy I could help.”

Customer: “Let me at least buy you lunch. I insist!”

(The older gentleman then laid $7 on the counter and left before I could decline. Made my day.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!