Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Time To Stock Up On Pepper Spray

, , , , , | Romantic | February 18, 2020

(Early one winter morning, I am walking back to my apartment building after taking my son to his bus stop across the street. As I step into the parking lot, a minivan waiting to turn onto the street honks. Thinking it’s about another car, I carry on, but it honks twice quickly again. Confused, I stop, wondering if I dropped something and they’re trying to let me know. The minivan then reverses, stopping when I’m at the passenger window, which is rolled down. A slim man sits behind the wheel, looking at me expectantly.)

Man: “Hello there, I’m [Man]. I’m new to the building. What are you doing?”

(Tired and caught off guard, I reply honestly.)

Me: “Uh, I’m [My Name]. I just brought my son to the bus stop.”

(The man smiles broadly, though it doesn’t feel very friendly.)

Man: “[My Name], that is a very beautiful name. Are you married?”

(My mental alarms have now begun going off, so I hope my answer gets the conversation to stop.)

Me: “Yes, I am married.”

(The man considers this for barely a moment before continuing.)

Man: “Can you give me your number so we can get coffee sometime and you can show me around the neighborhood?”

(I don’t like the tone of his voice, so I take a step back, shaking my head.)

Me: “No, thank you. I was just going home.”

(The man leans across the passenger seat, digging his phone out of his pocket as he speaks more insistently.)

Man: “Please, it’s just a number. I want to get coffee sometime and talk.”

(Definitely uncomfortable, I back off more, shaking my head and repeating myself.)

Me: “No, thank you. I am going home.” 

(Not waiting for a reply, I was finally able to gather myself enough to turn and hurry towards the apartment building, glancing back to get a good look at the car and license plate so I knew what to look out for. He waited for only a few moments before continuing out onto the road and away. It’s been over a week, and though I’ve seen his car once in the lot, I haven’t run into him again. I already have anxiety about strangers, so this hasn’t helped at all, but I realize I’m lucky that he did just leave after I turned him down and retreated. I hope my luck holds and our paths never cross again!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!