Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Time To Start Ordering Under A Nickname

, , , , | Working | July 18, 2022

There’s an outside and an inside doorbell in my apartment complex. The outside doorbell is akin to a foghorn in sound and loudness, while the inside doorbell is more of a ringing of metal against metal. Both bells are mounted in the main hallway of the apartment, which is directly adjacent to my bedroom, but only the outside doorbell is connected to an intercom system allowing you to talk with the person standing in front of the apartment building so you know whether to let them in or not.

It’s a hot, humid night, so all the doors in the house are open. I’m alone in the house, and I’m blissfully asleep when the outside doorbell rings and rudely interrupts the dream I was having.

I pick up the horn for the com system.

Delivery Guy: “I have your order for [Restaurant] here.”

Me: “I did not order at [Restaurant]; you have the wrong house.”

Delivery Guy: “But this is apartment [number].”

Me: “I did not order at [Restaurant]. I was asleep. I would have known if an order was placed for my household. Please check the address again.”

I put the horn back on the intercom and return to bed. Unfortunately, I have not even put the covers back over me before the doorbell rings again.

Delivery Guy: *In a more insistent voice* “I have your order for [Restaurant] here. For [address]. That is this address.”

Me: “I did not order at [Restaurant]. I was asleep. Something has gone wrong. Please call your boss and confirm that you have to be here.”

I put the horn back, but something about the delivery guy’s insistence bothers me. I pick up my phone and check the messages I’ve received. There’s a message saying, “Your order has been made and the delivery is en route to your address,” from the restaurant in question. Given I have not put an order in, this confuses me, so I decide to call them.

Me: “Hey, I got a message that my order was en route, and a delivery guy just showed up at my house, but I have not made an order. Can I ask if it was made by phone or Internet or something? Are you sure you sent them to the right address?”

Restaurant: “No, no, it was the wrong address. We noticed after he was gone. He didn’t answer his phone while driving. Can you send him back?”

Me: “Yeah, but how did it happen?”

Restaurant: “You and another customer have the same first name and live on the same street. The kitchen is loud, and someone wrote the wrong number.”

Me: “Okay, human error. Can happen. Thanks! I already told him to call you, so if you let him know where to go?”

Restaurant: “Yes! Sorry for the mixup! You’re a valued customer!”

Me: *Merrily* “If I’m the first one you think of when someone with my name orders, I would think so!”

The delivery guy managed to find the right place to deliver the order to, so all’s well and only some sleep was lost.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!