Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Time To Show That Customer The Door

| Right | September 13, 2016

(I’m a fairly petite female college student who works through the semester to try to cover book costs. I opened the shop this day and have been the only employee for quite a few hours. The shop is busy due to the college students returning to town. There’s finally been a break in the line, so I immediately head for a quick restroom break. Once I am inside the restroom, someone keeps trying to open the door even though it is locked. I have a feeling that some small child is playing with the door and I try to open the door slower than normal.)

Me: *opens door square into the forehead of a small girl* “Oh, my goodness! I am so sorry! Are you okay?”

Small Girl: *starts sobbing*

Girl’s Mother: “Oh, honey. It’ll be okay. Shh, shh now. It was an accident. You’ll be okay.”

Me: “I am so sorry about this, ma’am.”

Girl’s Mother: *mouths to me that it’s okay*

(I then feel horrible as I return to the employee back room. I grab a swig of water before heading back out to cashiering the customers that have entered the shop. The small girl and mother slowly make their way through the line. The small girl has stopped crying and seems to be so excited about the candies she can choose from for her yogurt.)

Me: “Okay. Your total today is $[total]. Will that be all for you?”

Girl’s Mother: “No. It won’t. I think you need to change the doors on those bathrooms. They’re a hazard! They need to be changed immediately!”

Me: “I’m so sorry again, ma’am, about what happened. I truly am. I’m glad to see that she is okay right now.”

Girl’s Mother: “No, she’s not! This is going to bruise. I should call up your company and tell them of this incident. I bet you wouldn’t like that here. Your manager should change those doors to swing differently or something; otherwise, I might have to make some phone calls!”

Me: “Ma’am. Once again, I am sorry for what happened.”

(I then go into the legality of how doors open in shops and such to her. I try to keep my composure because I truly felt awful for accidentally hitting the little girl.)

Girl’s Mother: “Well, be sure to leave your manager a note about this! I know it’s not your fault… but that door is a hazard and you should know better!”

(My assistant manager walks in and I relay the story to her.)

Assistant Manager: “This was a mom, right? And she thought that the door wouldn’t potentially be an issue for her daughter standing right next to the doorknob? I need to call my three-year-old and tell him I love him. Some people.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!