Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Time To Fly Back To Mama Bird

, , , , , | Working | February 25, 2022

There is a small bulk store near me that sells a wide array of damaged, returned, or near expiry products. The food is often super cheap but needs to be eaten quickly. Sometimes it was cheaper to buy a multipack than it would be to buy a single serving from a normal store, so I would often bring it to work and share it for free.

I noticed one of the new guys would often help himself with no word of thanks, not even a good morning. There were days when I hadn’t even taken off my coat before he was expecting food.

It annoyed me. Sure, I was just giving it away, and it didn’t really cost me anything, but some basic gratitude would have been appreciated.

It was getting toward the end of the year and I needed to use up some holidays. I had Monday off. When I came back from lunch on Tuesday, [New Guy] was sitting in my chair.

Me: “Can I help you?”

New Guy: “Where were you yesterday?”

Me: “Holiday, why?”

New Guy: “Hmm… Okay, then.”

I sit at my desk and unpack my things. [New Guy] stands there and watches me awkwardly.

Me: “Did you need something?”

New Guy: *As though it’s obvious* “Well, yeah! The food!”

Me: *Playing dumb* “Food? What food?”

New Guy: “The food you normally bring in!”

Me: “Well, I have my lunch, but I need that.”

New Guy: “Oh, for… No, the crisps and biscuits and stuff.”

Me: “Oh! That food! Yeah, didn’t bring any.”

New Guy: “But why?”

Me: “Didn’t feel like it.”

New Guy: “What am I supposed to eat, then?”

Me: “Unfortunately, mothering you isn’t part of my job description.”

He sulked off. He came back the following Monday but could see no big bag of food for him to take — I had left it in my car for later — so he sulked off again!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!