Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Time To Cash Out Early

| Working | May 3, 2015

(I am new to town and trying to find one or more part-time jobs, just to pay the bills while I look for something I actually want to do long-term. I call a small gift shop and ask if they’re hiring and the manager says he can interview me that afternoon. I’m hopeful that they need someone so quickly, so I go in to interview. The manager tells me he wants to hire me after hearing of my previous job experience and is willing to give me full-time hours at a great salary. Everything seems great until I start asking some more detailed questions.)

Me: “And how often would I get paid?”

Manager: “Every week or so.”

Me: “Okay, and do you issue paper W-2’s at the end of the year or do I download it from the company site?”

Manager: *gets visibly unsure* “Well… I don’t really do those.”

Me: *shocked* “What do you mean? How do I report my income for taxes?”

Manager: “I’m sure you could… if you wanted to. Probably look up how to report them yourself.”

Me: “You mean you don’t report company taxes?”

Manager: “No. I just pay everyone cash.”

(Needless to say, I did not take that job. I didn’t report him to the IRS, but I have always wondered if I should have. He was getting away with paying no employee benefits or business taxes!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!