Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Time Off For Being A Leader

| Working | July 1, 2015

(I’m a team leader of four guys, all working different shifts. Late one afternoon I get a phone call.)

Worker: “Hi, [My Name]. Sorry, I know I am suppose to be in tonight, but we have just been broken in to.”

Me: “Wow, I’m sorry to hear that. Do you think you will be able to cover any of your shift?”

Worker: “I don’t think so, but I will try.”

(I am in a bad position; with such short notice and no-one to cover we risk tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of stock.)

Me: *on phone* “Hi boss, just a quick update, [Worker] won’t be in as he having personal issues at home.”

Boss: “Unacceptable! Tell him he has to work or be fired!”

Me: “You can’t do that.. He is entitled to time off.”

Boss: “No, he isn’t! Call around and get someone in!” *hangs up*

(I ring around and can’t get cover. Thankfully, despite the issues at home, the worker comes in for some of his shift. The next day…)

Boss: “I found out that you didn’t get cover last night, I am incredibly disappointed. I think you are not cut out for this job.”

Me: “I figured you would say this, so here.”

Boss: “What is this?”

Me: “It is the legal pages for time off. As you can see I acted totally appropriately in this instance.”

Boss: “I, err…”

Me: “And by the way, you don’t pay me to be a team leader, so, yes, if you want to take it off me, please do.”

Boss: “I, I, err. Okay, well, okay then. Get back to your desk.”

(This wasn’t the first or last time it happened. He would constantly be ignorant of the law to try to get his way. I eventually told him one too many times to take my position off me, and he did. Then asked me to do it again two weeks later!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!