Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Time For Giving And Receiving

| Right | December 25, 2012

(I work for a large supermarket chain while attending college. I am a cart pusher. I usually work the first shift of the day from 7 am to 4 pm. This particular morning, I find a leather book left on a cart from the night before.)

Me: *to my manager* “I found this book out on one of the carts. It’s covered in frost, so it must have been left here over night.”

Manager: “Huh, wonder what it is…”

(My manager opens the book and discovers it is a large checkbook used by a business. Someone’s entire financial information is in this book. We turn it in to the front desk and think nothing of it. Near quitting time, a couple in their 30s see me in the parking lot and runs up to me.)

Gentleman: *stressed* “Hi! Did you by chance see a leather notebook on any of these carts? I left here last night.”

Me: “Sir, you are in luck. I found it first thing this morning covered in frost. It is at the front desk waiting for you.”

(I can see the stress lift from the man immediately. He thanks me profusely and he and his wife take off to the store. About 10 minutes later, I see him talking with one of my fellow cart pushers who then points to my location. The man rushes over to me.)

Gentleman: “Young man, I insist on rewarding you for your good behavior and helping me retrieve this.”

Me: “Sir, that is entirely unnecessary. I just found your notebook and turned it in. It was my job.”

Gentleman: “No! You were honest and did what many people may not have. My entire job’s finances are available in this notebook. You did the right thing and deserved to be rewarded.”

(I stopped fighting it and gave him my name. He wrote me a check for $100 on the spot! I thanked him, shook his hand and wished him a Merry Christmas. I then took that $100 and bought more gifts for friends and family.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!