Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Those Who Look Down Will Never Move Up

| Working | September 24, 2012

(I was working at a hotel my last semester of college and was promoted to supervisor soon after graduating. A coworker who is male and I, a female, are checking an elderly couple in one afternoon.)

Coworker: “Is there anything else I can do for you today?”

Elderly Couple: “Yes, can we get some help with our luggage?”

Coworker: “I’m sorry, but the bellman just left to take some people to the airport, but he will be back in 20 or 30 minutes.”

Elderly Couple: “Well, can you help us?”

Coworker: “No, that’s beneath me.”

Elderly Couple: *shocked silence*

Me: *to the elderly couple* “Folks, as soon as I finish checking in this guest, I’d be happy to assist you with your bags.”

Coworker: *gives me a dirty look*

(After helping the couple with their bags, they give me a $10 tip. I walk back to the lobby and wave the bill at my coworker.)

Me: “Don’t ever say that again. If you don’t want to help someone with their bags, say you’re unable to then ask someone else to help them.”

Coworker: *walks away in a huff*

(I walk over to the bellman’s stand and put the tip in his drawer, since the bellman work almost solely off of tips, then return to my counter. After coming back from lunch, my coworker goes over to the bellman at his stand.)

Coworker: *to the bellman* “Aren’t we not supposed to help anyone with their stuff and tell them to wait for you to get back?”

Bellman: “Yes, why?”

Coworker: “Because she took someone’s luggage up for them while you were gone!”

Bellman: “Oh, I wondered where this $10 came from. Thanks, [my name]!”


Coworker: *walks away in a huff*

Bellman: *to me* “And that is why you got promoted to supervisor and he never will be.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!