Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Those Who Don’t Wait For Staff Are Doomed To Wait

, , , | Right | February 11, 2020

(I work at a fairly popular coffee chain, and we always have a morning rush. However, weekend mornings are particularly busy, so that we have at least ten orders at a time between the drive-thru and the house. I am working on making orders and jumping to the register in the lobby when somebody walks in. As I am finishing an order, I notice an older gentleman waiting at the counter staring at me. As per policy, I acknowledge him and tell him I’ll be right with him; however, he immediately starts listing off his order.)

Customer: “I’ll have a plain drip coffee with [amount] of cream and sugar.”

Me: “I’ll help you in a moment.”

(I walk a collection of drinks over to the drive-thru window, and when I go to help the man, he is already seated. I assume someone else has helped him with his order and go about with others. Thirty minutes go by; orders have slowed down at this point. I’m in the back doing dishes and I hear him shout for me and not address anyone else I’m on shift with. I walk up to see what the fuss is, and immediately he starts yelling.)

Customer: “I have been waiting on my drink for thirty minutes. You intentionally blew me off!”

Me: “Okay, I apologize. Remind me of your order?” 

Customer: *lists off his plain drink once again*

(I ring him up for a large coffee but don’t put any of the other specifications down.)

Me: “Okay, that’ll be $2.97.” 

Customer: “I have to pay for coffee?” 

Me: “Yes, sir, it’s the cost of the product and the cup; we cannot give free coffee out or else we’d lose lots of money.” 

Customer: “It should be free since you forgot about me anyway.”

Me: “Sir, you never paid; therefore, your order was never placed.”

(The customer forks over his $3 and I pour his coffee for him.)

Customer: *opens cup* “Where’s my cream and sugar?”

Me: “When in house, customers are allowed to adjust their drinks at the service counter.”

Customer: “I want [amount of cream and sugar]!”

(I added what he asked for, and he still went over to the service counter to douse his drink in half and half. I clocked off. I ultimately got a complaint from corporate over “intentionally blowing customers off,” but was only meant to read the email and laugh about it with my supervisor.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!