Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Vacation Was More Relaxing For Some Than For Others

, , , , , | Working | November 18, 2021

I used to work for a government department. About ten years ago, my wife and I bought our very first travel trailer and we planned a “glamping” vacation. After we both had booked the time off from our employers, there was a last-minute conference scheduled that I was required to attend.

Rather than cancelling my vacation or skipping the conference, I asked if I could take my trailer instead of flying. That way I could still have my trip — albeit with a different destination — and still attend the conference. After the conference was over, we would carry on with our vacation and travel to our original destination via a different route.

I was approved with the understanding that I would only be compensated for the equivalent cost of flying and staying in a hotel. While not covering the entire cost — especially fuel for towing a large trailer — I was very happy with the arrangement.

All went well on our first long-distance trip of 1,300 km (800 miles) to the conference and another 2,500 km (1,550 miles) on our extended route home. I came home, claimed for four nights in campgrounds, meals, and km equivalent to the airfare.

Everyone was happy until the auditor checked claims about a month later. He told our claims people that employees are not allowed to accept less than they would be entitled to whatever the travel mode. So, when they approved me going by my own vehicle, they needed to pay the full cost. Even though I was happy with the arrangement, it didn’t matter. The auditor gave them a month to correct the claim.

I was told there was a maximum number of km I was allowed to drive per day, so instead of claiming one day up and one day back, I claimed three days up and three days back for campgrounds and meals. I also claimed back four days of vacation because I was “working” those days. I also got the government km rate for the entire distance (1,300 up and back and not the actual 2,500 indirect route home), not just the equivalent to airfare. Altogether I had to claim another $1,600.

While I was perfectly happy with the original arrangement, I was forced to take more money and saved four days of vacation. I was never allowed to take my trailer to a conference again.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!