Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Time, The Scammer Falls For You

, , , , | Legal | December 30, 2021

As lockdown starts to lift, so does the break from scam calls. I’m not sure why I’m plagued with them so much. Maybe someone gave my details to some scammers and they passed it around amongst themselves.

I do the same thing every time: I pretend to play along and then just occasionally say, “Yep,” or, “Uh-uh.” It’s surprisingly effective at wasting their time.

I get a call just as I’m making dinner. I manage thirty minutes or so of stringing the scammer along, the phone pressed against my ear with my shoulder as I chop and cook. Then, I clumsily knock a hot saucepan off the hob and it splashes my bare foot.

I swear loudly in reaction, only to hear equal swearing and a loud thud, which sounds like someone falling off their chair. There are several minutes of rustling over the sounds of breathing. I’m cracking up. My foot hurts so much, but from the noises coming from the phone, I can barely breathe.

Scammer: “What was that?”

Me: “Did you… Did you fall off your chair?”

Scammer: “Yes, I fell off my blinking chair. What was that for?”

Me: “Oh, my God, I can’t even…. I can’t talk to you. This is too funny.”

He clearly didn’t think so, judging by the swearing he was doing at me. I sat down cooling my foot while laughing my a** off.


This story is part of the Phone Scam Payback roundup!

Read the next story!

Read the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!