Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Time, It’s Personal

| Right | February 20, 2014

(I work for a business management firm that deals primarily with people in the entertainment industry. My employer has decided to give out my personal cell phone number, without telling me, to one particular client who is incredibly needy. I receive a phone call on a weekend at about three am.)

Me: *groggily answering the phone* “Hello?”

Client: “There’s something wrong with my cable and I need you to fix it.”

Me: “I… I’m sorry. I think you have the wrong number.”

Client: “This is [My Name], right?”

Me: “Um, yes? Who is this?”

Client: “What? You mean you don’t recognize my voice? Seriously, how many times have I spoken to you on the phone? You should KNOW who this is.”

Me: *I instantly figure out who it is* “Oh, hi. I’m sorry, I didn’t realize it was you. I also didn’t realize you had my personal number.”

Client: “Yeah, [Boss] gave it to me and told me that you were on call for me whenever I needed something. I’m having a problem with my cable and I need you to fix it.”

Me: “I’m sorry. It’s three am on Sunday. I’m not in the office and don’t have access to your information right now. What seems to be the problem, though? Have you tried calling them directly?”

Client: “No, I haven’t called them! That’s what I pay you for! Look, I’m trying to order a movie and it’s not going through. I keep getting an error message and it tells me to call this number on the screen.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to suggest you call the number provided and see if they can help. I don’t see how I will be of much use in the middle of the night on the weekend and out of the office.”

Client: “Listen. I NEED to get this movie. I left my laptop in the studio and I need to watch p*rn, okay? Do you get it now? I NEED MY F****** P*RN!”

Me: “Look. I’m sorry, but as I mentioned before there isn’t anything I can do. Either call the cable company and have them try and help or it will have to wait until I’m in the office Monday morning.”

Client: “Well, f*** you then! Just you wait until I call [Boss] and tell him about the HORRIBLE service you are providing. This is not what I pay you for!”

Me: “I’m sorry. Have a good night.” *hangs up*

(Sure enough, the client did call my boss. When I came in on Monday he tried to tear me a new one for not helping out the client. I, in turn, went off on him about how unprofessional and not okay it was to give out my personal contact information without my consent and he shut up. No apology. I resigned that week.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!