Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Story Of Bad Parenting Has Been Doctored

, , , | Right | May 28, 2019

(I’m in the waiting area of our children’s new doctor after we moved into the city where the grandparents live. My twins have a cold and we need an official document for my employer so I can stay at home to take care of them. We make an appointment before arriving as early as they open, but as it’s cold season, it’s packed with patients waiting for an opening. A lady with her daughter comes in and asks for her to see the doctor.)

Receptionist: “We can try to fit you in, but sadly, it’s at least an hour to wait, probably more.”

Mother: “That is just too long. I need to run some errands for Christmas and I just don’t have time to wait that long. She was sent home from elementary school because she threw up; the doctor just needs to see if it’s anything serious and it will only take a minute.”

Receptionist: “I’m sorry, but everybody here is waiting and we can’t just let you skip all of them. We could put you on the waiting list and give you a call when you will be up far enough to get back within half an hour, and then you will not have to wait here.”

Mother: “Well, okay, but make sure to call me early enough so I can come back in time.”

(She then, to my surprise, takes her daughter to the waiting area. She takes the girl’s coat and scarf off, hangs them, and starts to explain to her that Mommy will be going now, but she will be back before the doctor will see her and that she just has to wait and maybe read some books or play with the toys in the waiting area. I’m really upset and I just can’t believe it, but she is about to leave her sick six- or seven-year-old daughter alone to wait here, which is totally not okay. A father next to the girl’s chair seems to think likewise and speaks up.)

Man: “You can’t leave her here to wait alone! Your child can’t just be unattended!”

Mother: “Keep your opinion to yourself. The receptionist said it’s okay; they will call me before she will be seen by the doctor.”

Me: “They certainly did not mean that you could leave without her!”

Mother: *sighs loudly* “You can all care for your own business, please. My daughter is very well-behaved and it’s the doctor’s office; she will be totally fine.”

(The daughter, meanwhile, is quiet all the time and looks tired and a bit squeamish. Her mother hugs her and leaves. The receptionist is talking on the phone and says nothing as the mother walks by, and I’m very astounded. Then, we get called up by the nurse. I can’t help but speak my mind a bit.)

Me: “I’m sorry. We have not been your patients for very long, and maybe that is how you handle things usually, but I don’t think it’s okay to have little kids wait alone for their appointment. It’s just not right.”

(The nurse is obviously shocked and asks what I mean by that. I point the girl out and tell her what happened. The father and other waiting parents join in and confirm the story. The nurse gets very silent, thanks us, and points us to our consultation room, and then she goes over to the girl. We wait a lot more inside the doctor’s room. Finally, he comes and checks the kids, and we get some prescriptions for the blocked noses and the papers we need. At the end, he asks me about the mother again.)

Doctor: “So, what did the mother say when you asked her about leaving?”

Me: “Basically to mind my own business and such. I take it that it is not regularly that kids that young are left here to wait alone?”

Doctor: “No, not at all. We were all shocked about it; it has never happened before. We called her straight away, but she was not answering her phone. As her number is the emergency contact, as well, we had to call the police and ask for help. They wanted to ask you some questions before you leave, as well.”

(Outside, we meet up with two policemen. The girl, I’m told, has been allowed to lay down and rest on the couch in the doctor’s private office, and sleeps after he checks on her and gives her some appropriate medication. The mother, meanwhile, has been reached and is said to be on her way back. The policemen ask me again about what happened and as I tell it, the mother enters.)

Mother: “Where is my daughter? She’s not in the waiting area, and I specifically asked you to call me before she gets seen by the doctor. As you said, it’s at least an hour; I was not expecting your calls and did not notice them until now. Was she called up early? Is she in one of the rooms?”

(The receptionist simply points to the police and the mum’s colour drains at the realisation. She looks shocked as she is addressed by the policeman and starts asking what happened and if her daughter is fine. The policeman looks sternly at her.)

Policeman: “Your sick daughter was abandoned by her mother at the doctor’s office, and imagine that she went outside because she felt sick and alone. Imagine her telling the receptionist that she just wants to go out to her mummy. Imagine the receptionist assuming you are just outside the door for a smoke. But your little daughter walks away, feeling unwell and confused, looking desperately for her mommy. Imagine that, please, as hard as you can. And then think about who would have caused that. How you caused that possibility by abandoning her here. And when you realise how lucky you are and what kind of mistake you made, then I really hope that you will never ever do something like that again. Because there is no penalty that would help in any way if you still think you did no wrong.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!