Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Scam Is Not At Diamond Strength

, , , , | Right | June 27, 2019

(I work at a thrift store. A lady pulls up and gives me a box full of miscellaneous housewares. Basically, it looks like there are a bazillion little things in this box.)

Me: “Thanks for thinking of us!”

(I’m trying to smile with a professional expression, but I am not looking forward to going through what looks like tiny trash items and a few small pieces of Tupperware.)

Lady: “Oh, and I’d like a receipt, too.”

(Luckily for me, we don’t list small things individually, so I can literally hand her a piece of paper that says, “one box of small housewares,” and initial it, so that’s what I start to do.)

Lady: “Oh, yeah, and I’m donating a diamond ring, too. Could you add that to the list?”

(Red flag alert!)

Me: *huge retail grin* “Really?! That’s awesome! Let’s see it!”

(I pretend to dig through the rubbish, watching out of the corner of my eye as this lady’s face falters.)

Lady: *stuttering a bit* “Er, it’s, uh, in… in the box. Look, I need to go somewhere, so can you add it to my receipt and look later?”

Me: “No, ma’am. I need to have something that valuable physically in my hands before I can add it to my receipt.”

Lady: *nervously* “Uh, let me see if I can…”

(She digs halfheartedly for two seconds, then gives up.)

Lady: “Uh, maybe I forgot to bring it. I’ll have to bring it in next time…”

Me: *retail grin widens* “Sounds great, ma’am. So, one box of miscellaneous minor housewares.” *puts my initials on it* “Here’s your copy. I keep the master; you get the yellow duplicate.”

(This is so if she writes it on her copy, it’s obviously fraudulent. She left, obviously disappointed that her plan failed so spectacularly.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!