Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Patron Will Do A Number On You

, , , | Right | January 10, 2022

We have several public computers at my library. Patrons with library cards sign on using their library card number and a password. People without are given randomly-generated guest passes. A regular patron comes up to the circulation desk, looking a little grumpy.

Patron: “Hi. I want to get on the computer, but it looks like I forgot my library card.”

Me: “That’s no problem! If you have an ID on you, I can look you up in our system and write out your card number.”

I do exactly that.

Patron: “I don’t think that’s my number. It doesn’t look right.”

Me: “Okay, let me double-check.”

I hold the paper I wrote on up to my screen and check the fifteen-digit card number one number at a time. It matches. I close out of his account and search his name again. He’s the only one with his first name, last name, and middle initial in our multi-county system.

Me: “I’m not seeing any duplicate accounts under your name. The phone number linked to this card number is [number]. Is that yours?”

Patron: “Yes.”

Me: “Okay, well, it looks in order from my end. Let’s try giving that card number a shot and you let me know if anything goes wrong.”

Patron: “It doesn’t look right. I’ve prepaid for printing on my card, and I need to use them. I need the right number.”

Me: “Yes, I see some pre-paid pages on your account. Try that number, and if it doesn’t work, I’ll print you a guest pass and apply the pages you’ve already paid for to that.”

Patron: “This doesn’t look like my card number.”

Me: “Well, give it a try. I have other solutions if it doesn’t work, but try this number and your password before we go to those.”

Grumbling, the patron sits down at a public terminal and grudgingly enters the number. I see on the staff side of our computer-management software that he’s logged in as soon as he hits enter.

He sits quietly, does some typing, and eventually prints out some pages and leaves. He stops by my desk on his way out.

Patron: “I’ll check my card when I get home. That still doesn’t look like my number.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!