Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Manager’s Grasp On Reality Is Shake-y

, , , | Working | August 6, 2020

I work at a drive-in fast food restaurant where we serve — among other things — forty-four-ounce drinks and shakes. A customer comes in and orders two promotional mint-flavored shakes in the forty-four-ounce size. I take the order and run it out to him when it’s ready.

I have really small hands so I can barely hold the forty-four-ounce cups, and only near the bottom.

Me: “Hello, sir, that’ll be two [mint shakes] for [price].”

The customer gives me his payment and goes to grab the drinks by the top of the cups.

Me: “Sir, I wouldn’t grab there!”

That’s what I would’ve said, had the drinks not exploded in his hands due to the styrofoam bursting where he grabbed the cups. I start trying to clean the bright green goop that was a milkshake off of him, his truck, and myself. He is nice about it and recognizes his part in the mishap.

Me: “Let me get a manager and see what he can do.”

I take the torn-up cups inside and I yell, “Hey, I need these remade!” It’s loud inside and I need immediate assistance.

General Manager: “Okay, fine.”

He tries to take them from me. I hold them firmly and say:

Me: “No. These need to be remade.” *Explains what happened* “I need you to tell me what to do. A free replacement? Or should I charge him for two more? Maybe charge for some smaller ones since he paid for these? What do I do?”

The whole time, he keeps trying to take them, and I hold firm until he states that he will remake them for free, at which point I let go.

Drinks get remade, the customer is happy, and all is good. But later…

General Manager: “[My Name], I need to talk to you.”

Me: “Yeah, what’s up?”

General Manager: “Next time you have a mess up, you need to let someone know ASAP.”

That was my only mess up all night.

Me: “Uh, I did.”

General Manager: “No. You need to let someone know immediately so they can fix it as soon as possible.”

Me: “Uh… You’re talking about the shakes, right? Yeah, I did.”

General Manager: *Smirks* “Well then, who did you tell?”

Me: “I told you.”

General Manager: “Who fixed the shakes?”

Me: “You did.”

General Manager: “Wait, who did you tell?”

Me: “You. I told you immediately, and then you immediately fixed the shakes. Do you need to check the cameras to remember fixing that order yourself?”

General Manager: “Uh… No. Never mind. Just, uh… Carry on.” 

He was the main reason I quit that job.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!