Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Just Isn’t Scanning Through Her Head

, , , | Right | December 21, 2018

(In Canada, the Scanning Code of Practice states that if a product rings up at a certain price but the shelf advertised it at a lower price, the customer gets the product for free, and a refund if they have already paid. This following exchange happens near the end of my long shift when I’m about ready to go home.)

Customer: “Excuse me. I just bought this [Specialty Bread], and the shelf said it was $2, but the receipt says it’s $2.99.”

Me: *after verifying that the bread is actually $2* “Okay, I can give you a refund for it.”

Customer: “Why am I getting my money back? I still want the bread; it’s what I came to the store for.”

Me: “You get your money back and the bread for free, since the shelf price and the scanning price are different. That’s the scanning code of practice.”

(I hand her the $3.00 and the refund slip for her to sign.)

Customer: “Okay, so, now that I have the money back for that, can you fix the price so I can pay what it’s supposed to be?”

Me: “No. You get your money back and the item for free if it rings up incorrectly. It’s only if you have two or more of the same product that you would get the first item for free, and then the second one you would get charged the shelf price for.”

Customer: “So, I don’t have to pay you any money? I just get my money and the bread for free?”

Me: *almost at the end of my patience* “Yes. That is the point of the Scanning Code of Practice.”

Customer: “Well, why didn’t you say that in the first place?”  

Me: *screaming internally*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!