Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Is Why We’re In A Recession, Part 100

, , , , , | Right | March 9, 2021

A student comes up with his books to purchase for the first day of classes. I’ve had a million of these transactions today. But when I process his order, his credit card is declined.

Me: “I’m sorry, your card is declined. Let’s run it again to be sure.”

I do so and it is declined again.

Me: “I’m sorry, it’s still being declined.”

Student: “Run it again.”

Me: “I’ve run it twice.”

Student: “Run it again.”

I run the card again, and what do you know? It’s still declined.

Me: “It’s still coming up declined. Do you have another card?”

Student: “It’s not my card. It has to be your computer. Run it again.”

Me: “I can’t keep running the card; it’s been declined three times.”

Student: “It has to be your system.”

Me: “I’ve been running cards all day; it is not our system.”

Student: “Then you need to call someone.”

Me: “There is no one I can call. It’s not our system. There is something going on with your card. A hold, perhaps. You need to call the company.”

Student: “So, you call the company.”

Me: “It’s not my card. I can’t call the company; that’s your responsibility.”

Student: “I just used the card last night!”

Me: “I don’t know what to tell you. It is not working now.”

Student: “Run it again!”

At this point, a large line of pretty annoyed students is piling up. I decide to try to run the card as a manual, to see if by some miracle that will work. It does not, not that I am surprised.

Me: “Your card is still being declined. There is nothing more I can do. You need to contact the company to find out what is going on with your card.”

I hand him back his card and start gathering his books so I can put them back.

Student: “What are you doing?!”

Me: “I’m going to put your books aside so they can be returned to the shelf.”

Student: “You mean I can’t take them?”

Me: “No. You didn’t pay for them.”

Student: “But I tried! I should be able to take them.”

Me: “I cannot let you walk out of this store with these books if they are not paid for. I would be fired.”

Student: “But I tried!”

He finally gave up and I got to deal with the long line that had filled in while dealing with him. He finally came back several hours later. Turned out the company had put a hold on his card because he had purchased something out of state. Guess it wasn’t our system after all.

Related:
This Is Why We’re In A Recession, Part 99
This Is Why We’re In A Recession, Part 98
This Is Why We’re In A Recession, Part 97
This Is Why We’re In A Recession, Part 96
This Is Why We’re In A Recession, Part 95

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!