Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Is Why I Hate Switching Pharmacies

, , , , , | Working | December 30, 2022

I have a chronic condition that requires medication that I have to refill every month. I have been using the same pharmacy for almost twenty years. It’s reliable, affordable, and conveniently located.

I change doctors, though. My new doctor is in a different health system. At my second visit, he tells me that their health system pharmacy has a program that helps people who can’t afford medication with part of the proceeds from clients. He asks if I am willing to use this new pharmacy.

I’ve had very bad experiences in the past with my healthcare due to unprofessional behavior from many people — doctors, nurses, medical assistants, dentists, and medical receptionists, to name a few — so I don’t want to just make a change without feeling comfortable with the new pharmacy. I tell the doctor that I will think about it.

I decide to call the new pharmacy to inquire about their services and schedule.

Pharmacist: “Hello, this is [Pharmacy]. How can I help you?”

Me: “Hello. I’m calling because I have a question. I’m a client from another pharmacy, and I wonder if my prescriptions in their system can be transferred to your pharmacy, or does the doctor have to write new prescriptions?”

Pharmacist: “What’s your date of birth?”

Not sure if that is necessary — maybe the systems are connected and I’m findable from theirs — I reluctantly give my date of birth.

Pharmacist: “I can’t find you in our system. What’s your name?”

Me: “I’m not in your system. I called because I’d like to know…”

And I explain again.

Pharmacist: “So, you are a customer of another pharmacy? In that case, if you want to refill your medication, you must call that pharmacy.”

Me: “I am not calling to refill my medication.”

I explain again why I called.

Pharmacist: “Hold on, please.”

I wait.

Pharmacist: “You must call the other pharmacy to refill your prescription.”

Over it already, I respond sarcastically.

Me: “Oh, so I have to call my current pharmacy if I need a refill. Thank you so much for the valuable information.” 

Pharmacist: “You’re welcome.”

I never changed pharmacies.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!