Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Employee Isn’t Par For The Course

| Right | March 8, 2013

(I work at a store that sells clothing for casual wear and work wear. On random occasions, customers mistake our store for the sports store next door. On this day, an elderly lady is just such a customer, as she wants to find something we definitely don’t carry.)

Elderly Customer: *yelling at a male employee* “You d*** kids don’t know anything these days!”

Me: “Excuse me miss, can I help you?”

Elderly Customer: *whirls around, clearly angry* “You! You are too young, too! You won’t know what I’m looking for!”

Me: “If you would just tell me, I’m sure I can help you.”

Elderly customer: “I’m looking for a tam! Do you even know what a tam is?! You don’t! You’re too young!”

(I actually know what a tam is, because my grandfather golfs all the time.)

Me: “A tam is a slouched hat for men to wear while golfing. It has a small bill and a loose cap, and sits on your head like a French beret.”

(I’ve clearly surprised the customer, as she remains silent.)

Me: “Try the store next door, ma’am.”

(I calmly escort her out, all the while, my other coworkers stare. I had a bit of a tough time explaining it to my manager though. I never expected a tam to be something so few people knew of.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!