Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Customer Is On Full Charge

| Right | May 31, 2015

(Our store follows the ‘Scanning Code of Practice’ – if an item scans at a higher price than any tag or advertised price in the store, the customer gets the item free. I am working at the customer service desk when a polite, but clearly upset customer comes up to me.)

Customer: “Excuse me, I just bought this toothbrush and I was charged $1.49 but the tag on the shelf said it was $1.79.”

Me: “Okay?”

Customer: “I was charged the wrong amount! I’d like you to change it to the correct price, please!”

Me: “But sir, you weren’t overcharged… You were undercharged. Don’t worry about it; just enjoy the 30 cents off!”

Customer: “But I didn’t pay the full price for it! That’s not right! I want you to charge me the full price!”

Me: “Well, if the tag is showing the wrong price, we consider that our mistake and our policy is actually to give you the item for free… Did you want me to give your money back for it?”

Customer: “No! I want you to charge me the extra 30 cents! It’s not right that I’m not paying the full price. I don’t want to rip you off!”

Me: “I appreciate your honesty, but as I said sir, incorrect price tags are considered the store’s mistake; you really don’t have to pay any extra.”

Customer: “I want to! I want to pay the correct price! Just take the 30 cents, would you? ”

(At this point the customer is holding 30 cents out to me, practically begging me to take it, and is quite obviously annoyed, although still not being rude.)

Me: “…All right, sir, I can charge you the extra 30 cents, but it’s really not necessary.”

Customer: *giving me the money and sounding both relieved and annoyed at the same time* “Thank you! I don’t see why that was so difficult…”

(After he left, I learned that he had tried to get his original cashier to change the price, and when she told him she wasn’t able to, and also not to worry about it, he went to another cashier and got the same response before finally coming to me and insisting on paying the extra money. I’ve never seen anyone so annoyed at not being charged full price for something!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!